Buying your first DH/Freeride deck

• Requirements: For learning, you will need a stiff, top mount, deck with between 20 and 27 inch wheelbase and no drop. If you jump on it, and you feel it flex, you need a new deck.

Non-requirements: A new deck, if you are looking for a place to cut costs, this is it, starting riders will not notice possible degradation that is not visible on their first deck.

• For learning I'd definitely try to aim for a wheelbase is the 24-27 inch range over anything shorter, just for the stability and ease of sliding over shorter wheelbases without running a large truck split

• Honestly I'd rip even larger like 28-30 with a nice little drop through or drop platform.

Like I know it's seen as kooky nowadays but they're still fun.

• @Diego Murray I agree with this halfway, I don't think 27 inches is pushing it as much as 20 is.

• @Teplitzskate Definitely fun, definitely doable, but there's a reason they are the small minority of DH skate decks out there. Starters back in the day went full stinkbug to learn which is the only reason they could learn on them.

• Back in the day, I remember long wheelbase topmounts being the number one recommendation for beginners looking to get into DH, with the Sector 9 Bomb Hills being the go-to board. People would start with the board the way it was, then chop it into something smaller (I did that, insanely fun). Freeride was always the Earthwing Supermodel with Indy 215s, which I could never get into.

I think it's so interesting that the market now is all about small-ish topmounts for everything DH/freeride related, with some larger option on the outskirts. Things have come a long way since the days of Silverfish, haha.

• @Zach Maxon

The downhill division decks are very core. I loved the arrow which was 26-28 inch wheelbase which I didn't find ever needed a chop. If there were more of those type of boards around I'd not tell anyone to shy away from them.

I think the Earthwind Supermodel type of decks are pretty much dead. I don't think I've seen anyone serious ride anything that long in 5 or more years.

I put that number up as a guide for what is best in a way that is easy to understand, I see most boards availible for sale as a freeride/dh are between 20-25 inch wheelbase and it is almost imposible to find a post 2017 deck with a good design that is longer than 28ish inches.

Plus, not to sound old but "kids these days" don't want to chop their first deck, so having something that will be wanted for a little longer "as is", is little better in my opinion. 

• @Liam Morgan Blocked Me I definitely feel pretty old when I'm looking at newer shapes / designs and comparing them to what I remember, so I relate to your "kids these days" comment a little too much, haha. I definitely am a fan of all of the innovation and the way the scene has changed, though!

Also, I remember when the Supermodel and boards just like it (Rayne Vendetta, Comet FSM and FSMini, etc.) were the only thing people wanted. I never understood it to begin with, haha. To each their own, for sure!

Oh, and if anyone does see a good condition S9 Bomb Hills or Goddess pintail deck, let me know. I'd chop another one in a heartbeat.

• I feel like this would be a good modern version of a freeride build:

A single kick deck between 9.4-9.7 inches depending on shoe size, 23-27wb depending on height. 

Paris 43* 150s or 165s depending on width of the deck (under 9.5 go 150mm, over that go 165mm)

Centerset slippy wheels like snakes 

Lokton or dark matter grip

Zealous bearings. 

Big enough to not be tiny/cramped,  but not the 10 inch wide behemoths of 1010. Kicktail for blunts/ollies/fooling around. You could add a small +/-3 wedge/dewedge for a bit of directionally. This would still work for switch tricks and learning everything but could add a little stability. 

• @Gabriel Fockler I'm taking the controversial stance and saying people should start learning glove downs on a deck they could do some legit freeride on in the future.