Full face helmet reccs?

• I've been using a standard skating helmet type situation but am looking ahead to when I'll need a full face helmet. If anyone has any recommendations on helmets they like or tips for buying them let me know, it would be much appreciated!

• New olders has the cheapest, good enough, full faces around, if you're under 45 mph I'd say get one!

• TSG all the way.

• @Liam Morgan Blocked Me TSG just chose money over lives. The original designer pulled out of his deal with tsg to warn people the construction will change for the worse. New olders you will at least have a extra 100$ to put towards medical bills. S1 is great in all ways, preditor is good, tripple 8 is good but ugly.

• TSG just chose money over lives. The original designer pulled out of his deal with tsg to warn people the construction will change for the worse.

Can you provide a link to that? I'm not doubting you, since companies typically choose money over peoople - I'm just interested in seeing it. I'm not even sure who originally designed for TSG.

• @Zach Maxon Agh I only saw the post since it was reposted a lot on insta. I can't find it again. 

• @Ethel Moore no worries! I appreciate you taking a look for it. I'll be on the lookout for it, too. Shame that they're choosing money over people - I'll get my safety gear elsewhere now

• @Zach Maxon it's MRTN.CH on instagram. Hopefully more of the info like what he put up gets on here so it's actually accessible long term.

• @Matt Needs Wheels thank you! Just read through most of what I saw from Martin.CH and TSG's responses (which were pretty weak). I agree, I think this stuff needs to be posted somewhere like this, in an archival way.

• @Zach Maxon so what happened with Martin.CH and them?

• @Teplitzskate glad you asked! I've been reading through and writing up a TL;DR for it haha.

• Martin Siegrist designed the Pass in 2009 and presented it to TSG, who at the time rejected the idea.
    • In 2013, he was approached by them again when downhill longboarding was at its perceived height. The helmet goes through prototyping, and is released with EN 1078 (bicycle helmets, skateboard and roller skate helmets) and ASTM 1952 (downhill mountain biking) certifications. Helmets are made using a vacuum bag and a handlaid carbon layup.
    • In 2022 TSG approaches Siegrist to ask him to tweak the helmet to move to injection molding, as the "hand-layup of glass fibre or carbon fibre would no longer be possible in the near future." Siegrist refuses, as the method of construction for the helmet is the best possible. They cut him out, no more royalties, and move forward.
    • TSG's new helmet has been confirmed to be made via injection molding using ABS plastic, cutting out the layup of carbon fiber done by hand. According to Siegrist, who is an industrial engineer so I'm inclined to believe him, ABS is heavier, but that's not the only tradeoff. Siegrest's main points here are that fiberglass and carbon fiber absorb energy when going through an impact by breaking. ABS plastic does NOT, as it is flexible and wants to return to its original shape. 
    • TSG comments on the original post, stating that they are moving away from fiberglass and carbon fiber "for health and environmental reasons." The new Pass 2.0 is still certified, with CE standards in Europe and CPSC / ASTM in the US. They claim that the test results for the 2.0 are better than the original, and that the EPS foam on the inside is what will absorb impact by breaking up in a crash, not the fiber shell. The helmet's increased cost is due to "a sophisticated ventilation system" and improvements with the visor, entry channel, and sizing (different sizes for all sized heads I guess).
    • Siegrist hits back, saying that the shell helps to absorb impact as well, and that claiming that it doesn't makes no sense as many other helmets follow the same standards. He also brings up the health issues, saying that the company should ensure that the manufacturing facilities / factories are providing a safe work environment, and that TSG should provide safety equipment (respirators and vacuum sanding chambers) "rather than simply ditching quality for cheap economic mass production..."
    • TSG's full response to that was: "Our factory partners pay attention to the health of their employees. We know our production sites and visit them regularly. And despite decent working conditions, we are convinced that glassfiber is not a healthy material." To me, this is the most asinine possible response, partly because it's so sterile. It makes me believe Siegrist quite a bit more.

That's all of it! I recommend finding @mrtn.ch on Instagram and checking it out. It's the first post on his profile, which is public. It's a bit spread out, but worth the read. There's more info/commentary there from Siegrist that really adds to the discussion. Tons of support from the community, too.

Overall, it's pretty obvious that TSG, while they have the certifications to back the safety of the Pass 2.0, care more about money than using quality materials in their products. Yes, fiberglass and carbon fiber can be a real pain to work with, but they're definitely used in helmets for good reason. TSG just wants to save on labor costs and not have to worry about buying PPE for employees.

• For $200 shipped you can get the safe TSG

• @@bobby4900k For future viewers bobby4900k is refering to the pass pro (not pass pro 2) as the safe tsg