Brakesoles

• What are brakesoles?

Brakesoles are a layer of rubber added to the bottom of a shoe. This is common in downhill communities to increase grip on the board and increase the durability of the shoe's sole.  

Why to apply brakesoles?

Brakesoles are applied for two main reasons: increased grip and durability 

Grip

Generally, brakesoles tend to slip less on the griptape, whether it's due to the formulation of the rubber or the amount that the griptape can dig into the sole. 

Durability

While brakesoles do help with durability of the sole when footbraking, they also greatly help with reducing wear of the front foot. Given that downhill skaters tend to ride very rough griptape, the front shoe sees a lot of wear from pivoting on the board. Brakesoles prevent riders from having to replace shoes when the bottom wears out. Additionally, if a brakesole gets too worn, you can just peel it off and add another one. 

How to apply brakesoles? 

Prep the surfaces

Sand one face of the brakesole or the shoe by rubbing it on cement or with rough sandpaper.

Add glue to the shoe 

Apply your favorite glue to the edge and middle of the shoe.

Popular glues: 

• Superglue (my favorite) 
    • Rubber Cement
    • Shoe Goo 

Place the shoe

Place the shoe down on the rubber and clamp or weight it down until the glue dries. 

Trim the sole down

Get a fresh razor blade in your utility knife. Flip the shoe so that the rubber side is up. Cut the rubber like you'd cut grip on your board, with controlled pulling motions. Keep in mind that the rubber will cut slowly, and you can slip and put the knife into yourself quite easily. A fresh razor blade is essential here! 

Glue any bits you missed

Glue down any bits that may be peeling up and clamp or weight the shoe to keep it in contact. 

• You can also pay a shoe repair shop to do the installation. There's a place by me that charges $28 to do it. 

They put the shoes into a press, so they get attached very securely + trimmed down for an exact fit. 

I'd also add that free brakes are the only ones to buy, the other ones are not very good. 

• @Gabriel Fockler  - you obviously haven't tried Fiend Skate Supply's soles if Free Brakes are your only choice. Free Brakes are great and I never had a complaint until I tried Fiend's. When you actually footbreak with them, they are so smooth – literally feels "buttery". (before that I just accepted bouncy/skippy footbraking since my main purpose was using them as "grip" soles anyway)

Fiend originally caught my attention because I saw a post of them doing controlled tests on a dozen different rubber formulas for their skate and luge brake soles. I'd say their tests definitely resulted in a better product. 

• Respectfully disagree. They're made out of rubber mats. Worse board feel and grip, generally not as good as free brakes. 

Maybe if you're luging or footbraking primarily, that's fine. But for standup riding and just having more grip on your board, they're worse. 

This is the consensus in San Diego at least. 

• Never ridden any brand except Rogers Bros & I wasn't very stoked on their wear speed. I personally go online and buy 3/8" SBR rubber sheets off of McMaster Carr or Amazon. 

I do feel like everyone will have a preference for a brand of brakesoles. My personal preference would be to buy a huge rubber sheet & cut it down to size on a per shoe basis, as I can maybe milk 1-2 more soles out if I tetris the cutouts well. 

• @Gabriel Fockler interesting. IME they were softer and more pliable to flex with my shoes and mash into my concave/griptape--compared to other soles I've tried. I don't recall if they had different thickness choices (IK there's at least "skate" and "luge") and I wonder if shoe choice affects that too, but I admit I assumed incorrectly that you had not tried them! 🤙🏼 FWIW I'm primarily standup sliding with them too, but the smooth footbraking was just a very welcome feature for buttboard filming my friends

@David Serate I agree about the Rogers Bros soles. I only tried them once back around 2012, but they basically disintegrated within a week and the "recycled" construction made what pieces were left on my shoe so difficult to remove I just threw the whole pair in the trash

• @xmasterZx What shoes have you been putting brakesoles on? I've been riding Nike Alleyoops as I've been getting them for 30-40 USD at the Nike Outlet store. It's not a gumsole, but with superglue, it takes a brakesole well enough. In my opinion, Vans are pretty mid shoes for brakesoles, as the waffle pattern doesn't have a lot of area for glue to stick to 

• @David Serate many shoes over the years, but in my current rotation I have a pair of Etnies Andy Andersons, 2 pairs of Adidas 3st.002s, and a pair of Nike Court Vision Mids. The Etnies have the Fiend brake soles and the others have FreeBrake soles. For most of them, I scuffed up the bottoms and used contact cement for the main adhesive, and then I touch up any gaps or separation with super glue.

The Etnies have great board feel, even with the brake soles. The Adidas are pretty standard feeling IMO but they're my favorite shoes ever bc they're tight fitting slip ons (and I had to get a few backup pairs because they're discontinued 😭). My Nikes seem to have a much thicker sole and adding the brake soles made the board feel even worse, relatively. But they still have so much grip it hasn't caused me any problems. \

Edit to add - one reason I love the slip-on Adidas is because you can't shred your laces if you don't have any laces! That's also why I bought the Etnies, since the Andy Andersons have a leather flap that cover the laces. But FWIW, I shredded the seam of the leather flap pretty quickly so its separated from the part that has the velcro (but I glued them back together).