The Chief Ladiga Sk8 188 Challenge, Taladega Alabama, May 30th - June 1st, 2025

• You’ve probably heard of it before - the event has been running for over a decade, and has been skated by plenty of big names in the longboarding scene. The Chief Ladiga Sk8 188 Challenge, or Ladiga for short, is more than just an LDP event. It’s the perfect longboarding event for nearly any discipline or any skater.

Hear me out.

Ladiga is a 188 mile 3-day event where participants will skate through the Talladega National Forest, spanning five counties between two states (and two time zones). The first day is a relaxed 38 mile ride, the second day is a hilly 56 mile ride, and the third day is 94 miles all the way back to the starting point. This event is technically a stage race, but really it’s a challenge that you set out on, pushing yourself further or faster than you have before. Is it for masochists? Maybe, but aren’t skaters all kind of masochists?

Day one starts in Smyrna, Georgia, and is a pretty mellow 38 miles overall. Anyone who is comfortable on a board and knows how to fuel/hydrate will most likely be able to complete day one (so if you’re on the fence, register for the first day - you won’t regret it). Riders will make their way to Rockmart, Georgia, with plenty of shade from the trees and a couple of tunnels. It’s a great introduction to the event itself, as well as LDP.

Day two is a bit harsher at 56 miles, with less cover and a lot more elevation. You’ll start in Rockmart, Georgia, and make your way across the state line. Day two is remote, with much fewer people on trail. Before you hit the state line you’ll be faced with some serious hills, including the infamous Trash Mountain. Just after those, roll through the Cedartown Depot and pick up fuel, hydration, and support from the aid station before setting off into the most remote section of the trail. The scenery is beautiful, and the trail crosses paths with the Pinhoti National Recreation Trail. Once you’re through the mountains you’ll be greeted by happy faces in Piedmont before skating the final leg to Anniston, Alabama.

And on the third day, you skate all the way back. The same 94 miles that you just trudged to get to where you are. That’s the challenge!

What’s the catch? There isn’t one. When it comes to skating Ladiga, ego is your enemy. You don’t have to compete. Shit, you don’t even have to complete it. There are a crew of volunteers at every aid station, and most of them have been helping with Ladiga for a bit, or have skated it themselves. They’re there to help you get to the next aid station, or support you if you drop out. Aid stations are one of the best parts of each day - tons of smiling faces, cheering, and a genuine desire to see each person do well! Plus snacks and beverages. That’s a pretty nice treat, too. 

Over those three days, I skated about 100 miles, and volunteered the third day to help out and give back. This event is special. You meet dozens of like minded individuals who are going to support you and push you to do your best. I was the slowest skater at Ladiga 2024 and each and every person who skated ahead of me cheered me on as I finished each day. The skating itself is fun for the entire ride, and extremely challenging at times. The event organizers run a tight ship, and nothing feels off or messed up. You can tell that each and every person running Ladiga has genuine love for the event, and that they want you to love it, too. At the end of each day, riders get together, get food, hang out, and talk about the day. The event doesn’t end when the skating does unless you want it to. Ladiga is a place to make new friends, see old ones, and do a ton of miles over a three-day weekend.

Is it hard? Absolutely, but it’s also worth doing. If you’ve ever considered doing distance or just skating all day with a bunch of rad people, come out for day one and skate 38 miles with us. You don’t have to be the fastest skater. You just have to have a good amount of blood, sweat, and stoke. If you’ve got those three things, you can definitely skate day one, and I bet you’d be able to do the other days, too. If not, that’s alright, too! You’ll still be hanging out with a bunch of rad people and having a ton of fun over the long weekend!

• Updates coming soon about the 2025 Ladiga!