Dislocated shoulder

• Hi!

I am wondering if anyone out there has dislocated their shoulder downhill skateboarding and if you have any advice on recovery time/tips to avoid in the future.

thanks!

• Dead hangs. Strengthen your shoulders with them and they actually allow extra blood flow into areas that don't normally get it allowing them to heal.

Sounds counterintuitive but take it from a biologist. Shit works.

• I got surgery in 2020 for a torn labrum for a severely dislocated shoulder. Assuming that your doctor didn't recommend surgery, you'll want to do pt. A pt can guide you through all of the exercises that you need to do. 

• @Teplitzskate I feel like that would make my shoulder come out. Should I try this after it stops hurting?

• @Gabriel Fockler PT it is! Thanks Gabe

• @Anissa Chavez ngl, you should try to do it lightly while it's hurting. That position, plus the extra extension due to the pressure allows more blood flow which reduces soreness, providing extra oxygen to joints, ligaments and muscles.

Here's some anatomy to explain:

Source: Shouldering the Burden of Evolution, Potter, UCSF, 2015

• @Teplitzskate Nerd

• @Matt Needs Wheels how do I learn to not lecture people? lmao my wife hates it

• @Teplitzskate 🤣 just messin, good read

youre also in the right profession for it so chalk it up as a positive

• I actually managed to dislocate my shoulder twice. First the right one 5 years later the left one 😅. 

As teplitz said using your shoulder a little bit over the point where it starts to hurt, helps to recover it. 

I could'nt raise my arm properly for 2 years and then i startet playing handball again. The shoulder hurted very bad for half a year but after that i could raise my arm fully again :)