Advice for learning to skate switch?

• Considering the kind of mileage I'm capable of doing, I feel like this is probably something I should have already learned how to do. Oops, haha.

I'm having a hard time learning to skate switch. I currently skate most comfortably pushing mongo in a regular stance (I'm the pinnacle of wrongboarding). I can push goofy with my board foot up at the front. However, I can't seem to use my push foot to actually balance myself while on the board.

To give a bit of context, I have a messed up left knee (no ACL, MCL, IT, or meniscus - they're all dust). I've had the injury for over 15 years, and have almost evened out the atrophy from the initial trauma. In terms of balance/strength, I can do kickstand squats with a 50-pound dumbbell in each hand, and can do goblet squats to high knees using a 50 pound dumbbell, no sweat.

I've skated over 50 miles in a single day at almost a 10 mile per hour pace, and I didn't really have any issues (though I should have worn a knee brace, I was a bit sore but not unable to walk or anything crazy). Should I even bother learning? I'm not sure it'll make a big difference.

• Easiest way to learn switch is to start pushing up small inclines and hills, you'll slowly build up the balance and strength. Do reps and do the hill sessions regularly. 

• Yo! We've talked on IG before! Stoked to see you here, too.

I'll definitely take that and start using it! Maybe after 15 years I'll finally skate the "right" way haha!

• 10 mph average on 50 miles is pretty good, especially pushing with the same leg!

Being mongo helps a lot already, I've been in that boat a few years ago. The transition to regular pushing should be easy, depending on how often you practice around 10 days ish and you should be comfortable in no time. As another mentioned, pushing uphill helps a lot. Another tip that worked for me is keeping your hand on the knee on the board while pushing, makes balancing easier.

• @Frenglish I really like the idea of steadying my knee with my hand, I hadn't even considered that! Thanks so much for the advice, I'll be trying it out over the weekend without a doubt.

• @Zach Maxon No problem, glad to help :)

• I agree with the pushing up an incline. It keeps you from going faster than you're ready for.
    I'd also urge patience with yourself. It's really easy to get frustrated during this process but you're asking a lot of your body to unlearn a lifetime's worth of muscle memory. You'll get there, it'll just take time!