Tucking? aka why do DH riders stand like that?

• What is a tuck?

The downhill tuck is a position/posture/pose that maximizes straight-line stability and aerodynamics, so you can go fast in a straight line. 

Downhill - Longboard Bible
    Aerodynamics:

You get both your knees in line, hide your arms behind you, and attempt to close the gap between your chest and front knee. This may not seem like a lot, but at speed, aerodynamics matters much more than at cruising speeds. 

Stability: 

You press the rear knee into the lead calf, deweighting your back leg to add weight into the front truck, which aids in stability. This position can also do some turning, called tuck leaning, but for any hard turns or slides, you will need to untuck 

When to tuck? 

You should tuck if you're going fast and want to go faster. Think of it as your gas pedal once you're beyond pushing speed. 

Downhill skating starts with a select amount of energy (how hard you can push + how tall the hill is) and you need to maximally convert this into speed by decreasing the factors that bleed off your energy (aerodynamics/drag, poor lines, and to a much lesser extent, bearings). The biggest 2 that a rider can control are clean lines and aerodynamics. Tucking maximizes aero. 

When to untuck? 

You're about to corner

Certain sharper corners require riders to untuck to get into the turning posture for heel or toeside

You want to airbrake, footbrake, or slide 

Pretty obvious, but you have to untuck to footbrake and slide. You can airbrake by raising your chest with your knees still in tuck and spreading out your arms. Additionally, euro footbraking can be done relatively easily, but you still have to untuck. 

• Something to add just that really helped me mentally map out fast toeside glove down slides is maintaining a tuck and pushing downward from your rear foot in combination to a precarve to initiate a slide. Helps promote good form and not relying on pushing the board horizontally and monkey toeing the board. 

• @Kyle Fugate Someone (not me my form needs inprovement hahah) needs to tape gripped up scales to the top of their deck and do some skating on cam, to give a very accurate look at how much weight is distributed to each foot lmao.

• @Matt Needs Wheels honestly I would love to map that out! I'll get to thinking of some ways to measure that. Would be really cool to see 

• @Matt Needs Wheels I think it would be easier to add weight measuring things to the inside of the shoe. I know there are super thin compression/weight measuring components. 

• @Matt Needs Wheels I think it would depend from person to person. Like someone with a huge split would be mostly up front, where someone with a more symmetrical setup would have a more even distribution 

• @Josh Gaudon I would think someone with less of a split wouldn't need to have as much weight up front since spit trucks are more forgiving? IDK tho..

• @David Serate That'd be a bit easier. But yeah having that stuff acurately described is huge for improvement and learning. For car stuff I learned SO much from tech posts on forums and stuff like this video for drifting, that are not just "I think" kinda things.

• @Kyle Fugate Agreed. Do it!

• @Matt Needs Wheels I think that having film of yourself (i.e camera mounted on your body, looking AT your body) can help form improve a lot. 

Something like this angle (360 cam on an arm hanging about a foot off my head)

• @David Serate i like this camera angle a lot, i need to invest in a 360 camera 

• @John Oliver I use a Insta 360 One RS (you can pull it apart into the battery, lens, and controller) and it's pretty good.