How to dress for learning to go down hills

• There's a few things you're going to want to have for DH skating. I've listed these in rough order of importance (in my opinion). I've also added a few life-extending, budget, and repair tips so you can save your money for that set of precision trucks you need want. 

Shoes 

Make sure your shoes are flat-soled skate shoes. Traditional "skate shoe" type shoes are great. I personally prefer to have my shoes tight so that there's less slop between my foot, shoe, and board, so laces are a must for me. Additionally, leather or suede skate shoes will protect you much better if you go off the board and drag the toes/sides of your feet during a crash. 

Budget tips: 

Buy shoes from a thrift store or outlet mall to get lower prices

Repair tips: 

Superglue / e6000 / shoe goo can be used to repair holes in the side or just glue down loose threads 

Life extending tips: 

Get a set of brakesoles and affix them to your shoe to improve grip on the board and life when footbraking. 

Pants/Shorts

Pants and shorts are really a personal choice based on the heat level. However, you're going to be falling a ton on your lead asscheek (regular = left, goofy = right). I personally recommend getting a set of pants or shorts t that is cheap and durable. Think about thick materials like denim or canvas over light athletic ventilated fabrics. 

If you choose to wear hip pads or crash shorts, buy pants a size up to fit over the shorts. 

Budget tips:

Thrift some pants or get them from budget stores like Ross. Make sure to try them on and practice the positions you'll be skating in to make sure it stretches and fits in all the right ways. 

Repair / Life Extending tips:

Adding a leather / durable fabric / duct tape patch on the lead asscheek will increase the lifespan. Additionally, putting a line of e6000 or shoe goo along the seams on that back pocket / asscheek will extend the life of the pants and prevent you from going cheeks out on the hill. 

Knee Pads

Knee pads are generally required for learning, as you're pretty likely to bail and hit your feet, knees, and gloves. I prefer a hard-shell knee pad if I'm learning. The best kneepad is likely the TSG DHP downhill kneepad. These are specifically oriented towards downhill, and have a very solid securing mechanism. However, they are quite pricey for a beginner until you can afford these. 

Life extending tips:

Duct tape is your friend. For basically every repair. 

Other stuff

Sunglasses

Important for keeping the sun out of your eyes during long days on the hill. Also doubles as eyepro from dust and wind.

Sunscreen 

Pretty self-explanatory - don't get sunburned. 

• I made a tutorial video about getting cheap skate shoes with brake soles:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CidDoYDpgK1/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Good advice here. For skate pants, you definitely want to make sure that you're mobile (looser fit in waist, higher rise, maybe stretch fabrics). Going a size up on a loose high waisted pant and wearing a belt is probably the move. I would suggest ebay levis 501s in a size up. They look cool and have good mobility. 

Duct tape is definitely level 1 skate pants repair, I like your advice better. I've seen people glue and sew on leather butt patches, that's probably the premium move. 

For other various supplies, im going to add bug spray and a gallon of water. This summer heat is no joke. 

• Something I think many people miss is the importance of HIGH SOCKS while skating, thick if you can. It is so easy to come off your board and just scrape the edge of your board from the ankle to mid-calf. If you aren't wearing high socks, that will leave a nasty line of scratches that will burn like a bitch. I went into my first downhill sesh with low-cut socks and came out with both legs skinned. However, if you're wearing high socks you won't even know that it happened, literal immunity from that kind of damage. 

TL;DR WEAR THICK LONG SOCKS SO YOU DON'T HOBBLE HOME 

• Hey David,

I really like the tip of using shoegoe on the seams of pants as a preventative measure. That's really smart and I'm going to do it for sure.

I would add that needle and thread are worth learning. When it comes to repairs of kneepads and pants, needle and thread is often better than ducttape. Also a pretty cool life skill in general. Needle and Thread saved me a bunch of money and my favourite flannel shirt.

• @Thomas Shoegoo on the glovetips & the part of your gloves where you grip the board is actually SUPER good. Extends the life just a touch! 

• @David Serate ayy thanks for the (finger)tips