Rotating Wheels

•    Let’s talk about the importance of rotating your wheels. First let’s establish that self replenishing urethane is not a thing (yet🤞🏼🥺) and your wheels are going to wear down just like the tires on your car. The faster you go, the more sideways you’ll get, causing more urethane to peel away from your wheel. Your wheels will wear down to the core over time, and with a good set of wheels for beginners ranging anywhere between $50 and $70, the question is how do you get the most bang for your buck?

The answer: rotate your wheels.

Wheels wear in a couple of ways. beginners will typically experience coning which happens when you slide more frequently in one direction. Due to your weight constantly pushing your board sideways in one direction, your wheels will begin to taper over time (one side of the wheel will become smaller than the other other) causing it to resemble a cone.

More experienced riders will still experience some coning, but more commonly depending on riding style, different wheel positions will wear at different rates.

Minor instances don’t have much of an affect. Severe cases however can affect your stability both in a straight line and in drift, making you more susceptible to a brick. The same can generally be said for your sliding pucks, which can also be expensive, so spinning and rotating those are good practice as well to ensure an even wear.

Now let’s actually Rotate your wheels. Lay the board upside down with the nose facing away from you. Going in a clockwise direction, the wheel on the top right is wheel 1. Swap wheel positions 1 & 3 and 2 & 4. This is a good way to start, and as you ride more, pay attention to how each wheel wears and rotate accordingly. We recommend you check your wheels every other run if you’re doing some really heavy breaking.

• @Jacob Langley Big agree from my personal experience, a X pattern is all I've ever done or seen for wheels as a standard rotation, if somthing is funky I change it up, AND EXPECT THE SLIDE TO BE MUCH MORE GRIPPY THE FIRST RUN AFTER A WHEEL ROTATION especially if you wait to rotate for a while.

Adding onto the pucks; I have heard and seen the glove velcro wears out with too much puck rotation over a long period, so if the gloves are very pricy to this rotation is one I'd not overdo, for me I've heard 3 ish times over the life of the puck with a left/right change in there somewhere. If the velcro feels like it come off easy, don't wait to find out and get some new gloves.

Also, don't touch stock pucks in terms of rotation if you are not planning on getting new gloves, as stock ones wear more than dumping wheels making a rotation kinda worthless imo 🤣.

• I will alternate between an X for one rotation, then flip left to right in the next rotation. 

Depending on the turns on the road, you might wear down one side more than the other. I've also found that the front and back won't wear evenly, so that's why i do the alternating pattern described above. 

I skate like 90% standup, so i dont really bother rotating my pucks unless they're severely slanted. Just get some big pucks and call it good (fiend skate makes some nice ones). 

• The front wheels wear more since you have more weight on them, so if you put used wheels back on, the bigger ones go up front. If wheels are flatspotted beyond repair and you want to get more life out of them the better ones go up front till you get new wheels.

• I usually X, but always wear one wheel down way faster than the others. 

At Vulcan I rotated clockwise every single run. Also rotated/swapped pucks every run. Was a necessity.

• In my experience the back toesides wheel wears the most. X is a solid starting point but it don't work for everyone, 

my alternative? Look at you wheel to see which side the urethane has been pushed to more and put that side of the wheel facing down hill. Bigger wheels go on the back. 
    Another option is to ride a sym setup and ride your board backwards. Works for the most hesh.

• Does anyone have a reliable way to start evening out a set of wheels that are significantly different sizes? Rotating is the way to go, but what should I be aiming for in a slide specifically meant to get a set of wheels looking relatively identical again? What wheel position should I be rotating the largest/smallest wheels to? I've been doing very long, sub 90 degree angled hands down slides and holding them out to a stop and that's what's worked best in the past for me.

• @Nicolas Tognoli big ones up front, rotate side to side.