Rake

• What is rake?

Rake is a term used to describe the position of the axle in relation to the bushing seat. 

- Bushing seat: Where the bushings sit in the hanger when everything is tightened down

Rake is a design element of trucks where the axle is offset from the bushing seat, which changes how the truck responds to your steering input.

Zero rake

Wtih zero rake, the amount the truck turns will be directly correlated to the amount of lean you put into the truck. Some riders can report this feeling relatively "dead" in turns. 

Positive rake

With positive rake, the truck will feel a little more responsive, but be less stable. Riders commonly report positive rake trucks feeling "surfy", "turny", or "lively." Higher rake numbers tend to be associated with narrow hangers and precision trucks. Standard cast trucks tend to have 0-5mm of rake, but some slalom or slalom downhill trucks can have 10mm of rake. 

Negative rake

With negative rake, the truck will feel less responsive, but more stable. Trucks oftentimes are not designed with negative rake, but you can take a positive rake hanger and flip it before reinstalling it onto the baseplate, resulting in a negative rake truck. 

• I was just about to look into this! Thank you for posting it, it's definitely helpful. Is there any sort of guide out there that shows the standard rake for all cast trucks? I feel like that would be a pretty helpful resource.

• @David Serate Sabre Trucks website has an amazing graphical aid that would fully support your thread. I will ink it below:

https://sabretrucks.com/technology/longboard-truck-geometry-guide/

• @Zach Maxon I don't think there's a standard for all casts. I know Paris v3s have 2mm (or 4.3 mm?), and the new Cal 3 raked trucks have 5 mm (maybe 3 mm?) Bear Gen 6 Grizzlies have 4 mm of rake. 

It's definitely not an exact science for the cast trucks, but the precision trucks will almost always be on point with their rake numbers. 

• @David Serate that's actually what I meant, haha, what the rake for each truck was. I have no idea why I used the phrasing that I did. That's super helpful, thank you!

• Thank you for the post. I've been skating for 3-4 years now and I've never understood rake, until I got cal 3s from a complete. @joe the sabre website resource you posted is also absolutely goated