Spot ruined . . .

• One of the local spots was just chipsealed. 

How will I cope? Recommend some wheels to make chipseal less . . . awful. 

If you're a freak that likes chipseal, chime in too.

• @David Serate Chip seal is so sucky, I dont think anyone sane enjoys chip seal. 

Because of this hate I am no chip seal expert but, I do recomend either: going all in on the extra grip and making it a full grip run if possible, or skating with non-thane dumping, harder, cheat wheels, they will feel like a inconsistent non-cheat wheels lol,

For anyone laters reference, chip seal is when tar is poured over previous pave, and then stones are basiclly shot at that, the surface is not level at all and causes extra grip and eats wheels, pucks, skin etc. You can generally feel this type of pave with your fingers as not very flat (might hurt a little).

• Chip seal sucks, rip. It can be okay once it wears in a bit, but it's always a tragedy to see a good road get chipped. 

For freeride, you can probably get away with riding a grippier wheel than normal for standup. When I was a grom way back in the day, we would ride square lips on chipseal to get a bit more dampening/predictable slides. 

I definitely don't want to go fast/do glovedowns on it though. 

So yeah either try to make it all grip and no slides, or lean into sliding standup and maybe pick a more grippy wheel. Neither are ideal solutions. 

• @Gabriel Fockler I had suggested the opposite for standies, with taking the road way slower in mind, since I have always felt chip seal to be inconsistent and grippy; though I never bothered touching anything that hadn't been worn in for a few years.

My thought process is; F it do everything slower and make sure you don't get bucked off since regardless if sliding it you don't want to go fast.

I agree normal wheels will be more predictable but I fear the extra grip the chip seal roads I have skated have provided me mid slide, have you had a different experiance? Or what is your train of thought behind grippy wheels?

• Depends on the age of the road I think. I'm picturing a more worn-in chipseal that tends to feel more slick than a smoother road. I think that this relates to rough pavement being slicker in general (less of your wheel actually touches the ground). In that scenario, I want a bit more traction to counteract. 

Super fresh chipseal with a lot of tar - perhaps you want to pull out the snakes in that scenario. This is similar to any new pave where there's a lot of tar. You know you're in trouble where instead of thane lines you get black lines. 

• @Gabriel Fockler Hmmmm I agree that edge grip is reduced but it has been my experiance that the face of the wheels in a slide "catch" on the ups and downs slowing down more and causing more inconcistency. 

That said I hate it- so my time spent on it is very limited and I may be way off base here. What you are saying does make sense to me.

• I appreciate the condolences for the shitty chipsealed road. I used to ride on some chipseal, and I do remember it just ripping into my pucks. I currently can't really do a lot of standup stuff, but I'll likely try  snakes/green krimes or some other super slidey wheels on it when I eventually end up there. However, on a positive note, we got another local road repaved, with normal asphalt that is QUITE good. 

• @David Serate Yeah we likely had a very similar experiance with the type of pave in question just being a cheesegrater on pucks and wheels. Snakes sound like a very good option. I'd wait a month tho.

• @Matt Needs Wheels My snakes / krimes are used and absolutely BLASTED. I'll probably check that spot out once I feel a need to, so it'll be a fair amount of time

• That sucks!

• that sucks yeah. Need to ride the mountainboard