Everything You Need for a Decent Starter DH / Freeride Setup

• Watching videos of people going stupid  fast downhills is both inspiring and discouraging. Most of the time, when you see something like that, you're probably wondering, "What do you even need to do something like that?" To tell the truth, you don't need much. For a decent longboard setup meant for going fast, you'll need a decent setup and some safety gear.

A Good DH / Freeride Oriented Deck

This is the first thing you'll want to really get your hands on. A lot of the time, you're going to build the rest of your setup around this. A good deck menat for going fast is going to be a topmount, stiff, have good concave that grips your feet, wheel wells so that you can use larger wheels, and (typically) multiple wheelbases. When looking at wheelbases, consider distances anywhere from 21" to 26". Shorter wheelbases are going to be more nimble, while longer ones are going to be a bit slower to respond. Any shorter than 21" is going to be a bit too squirrely, and anything longer than 26" is going to feel like a boat and take too long to respond.

Griptape is something to consider when it comes to skating fast. Many boards come gripped already these days, and that grip is just fine. When you're just starting out, you don't need coarse grip right off the bat. If you're gripping your board yourself and you're serious about going fast, get some coarse griptape, otherwise, just get a sheet or two of the standard stuff.

Downhill Oriented Cast Trucks and Wedges / Risers

Longboard trucks meant for going downhill are universally going to be RKP, or reverse kingpin, trucks. The geoometry of these trucks allows for more stability. Most skaters are going to recommend a front truck that is anywhere between 44 to 50 degrees and a rear truck that is 35 degrees or lower. A higher degree truck in the front produces more turn, while a lower degree truck in the rear allows for more stability. Most cast trucks don't come in splits like this, but there are wedge risers that allow you to fine tune your truck geometry. Getting a variety of wedges is always a good idea, but to begin with, grab a couple 7 degree wedges to start.

Truck width should be somewhat narrow. For a beginner, a maximum width should be about 9" (160mm), but the range is really more like 135mm to 160mm. Anything wider and you'll likely drift around a bit, and anyhing narrower is going to be tricky to set up when you're just starting out.

Weight Appropriate Bushings

Chances are you're not going to be the right weight for the bushings in your trucks. You can make do, of course, and many skaters have done this in the past, but it can get very janky to do so. For a decent setup, you'll want to make sure that you have weight appropriate bushigns for your trucks. Many companies, like Venom, Riptide, and Seismic, have charts that allow you to see what bushing durometers are good for what weight ranges. Find an appropriate duro, and then pick up those, a duro softer, and a duro harder in a double barrel configuration. This is going to allow you to dial in your trucks, making them very skateable for speed.

70 to 75mm Wheels

I am not someone to really harp on what wheels a person is riding, but when you're just starting out, you'll want to get some good 70 to 75mm wheels. They don't have to be expensive (check out budget brands like Blank Wheel Co, Banana Wheel Co, or used wheels from the B/S/T), but they need to be serviceable. For beginners, a square-lipped "race" wheel isn't necessary, but they can give you a little bit more confidence through corners. A round-lipped wheel that has a stone ground surface is going to be a little bit more slippery. Generally speaking, start with a square-lipped wheel as you're getting used to your setup.

"But what about bearings?" I hear you, but honestly, they're not going to matter when you're just learning. Grab some Zealous built-ins or some Bones Reds. Don't buy expensive bearings, it doesn't matter.

Helmet and Slide Gloves

This is the absolute bare minimum when it comes to safety gear. A helmet is going to save your dome in the event of a bad fall, and gloves are going to save your hands when you eat it in a forward direction. Learning to skate faster has its risks, and these are way to mitigate those risks. Optional safety gear inludes elbow pads, knee pads, and wrist guards. These aren't a bad idea, but not everyone finds them entirely necessary. It's really up to the rider on those.

Understanding Cost

One of the big barriers to entry in skating fast seems to be cost. Many of the popular, advertised boards for going fast are fairly expensive. When you really start digging, you'll also find that many people skating REALLY fast are on precision trucks, ceramic bearings, and fresh wheels for every other run. You don't have to have a lot of cash to get into DH / freeride skating. Buy used, buy budget, buy thrift, and check out deals when it comes to your setup. When it comes to safety gear, don't pinch pennies - get a new helmet that fits your dome.

• Very good post, but I disagree with a few points. 

Wheels - if you're learning freeride and downhill, the first thing to do is to learn to slide both ways. You'll want a slick (round lip, center set, slidy urethane) wheel. Telling someone to start on a grippy downhill wheel doesn't make sense, because it will make it harder for them to learn basic stopping and drifting techniques. 

Safety gear - you need kneepads as well as helmet/gloves. Falling on your knees while learning is very common, and kneepads prevent that from ending your session/sidelining you for weeks. 

Cost - you say that most downhill guys ride ceramic bearings. I disagree. Most people use $14 zealous bearings and they work for all skill levels, no reason to buy anything else. 

Other than that, great post 

• @Gabriel Fockler good points! Thinking on it, you're right about the wheels and the safety gear, and I wholeheartedly agree. In terms of the bearings, I was mostly using hyperbole, and talking WDS level videos that pop up on YouTube pretty frequently haha 

• ^ need kneepads. Both gabe and I had our knees saved eating shit within a 1 hour timespan a couple days ago. Even at slow speeds knee taps will ruin your whole week - and starting out you need to skate as much as you can

Hard kneepads are better than soft, but anything is better than nothing. In this same vein, choosing a pair of pants to sacrifice to the concrete might be a good idea. You're gonna ruin pants, no need to ruin your whole wardrobe.

"When you really start digging, you'll also find that many people skating REALLY fast are on precision trucks, ceramic bearings, and fresh wheels for every other run."

You'd be surprised how many of these people don't pay (or pay full price) for all of this expensive gear. I have asked around in SD, and almost everyone on precisions (which is almost everyone) were either sent them for free or were given them at a steep discount from a homie. Some people have wheel sponsors, or know someone who does and buy lightly used wheels from them. No need to compare yourself against what you see on insta - just grab a board that's comfy and appropriate, cast trucks you like with some wedges and bushings, and go skate.

And one of the fast guys in the scene is on sym Paris blasting standies at 30 so no excuses

• @cstik thanks for all of the input and the context! 

No need to compare yourself against what you see on insta - just grab a board that's comfy and appropriate, cast trucks you like with some wedges and bushings, and go skate.

And one of the fast guys in the scene is on sym Paris blasting standies at 30 so no excuses

For me,t his sums skating up in total. Get out there and have a good time with it. If you're not having fun, you're blowing it, right? Gotta make it out west to skate with you and Gabe learn a few things 🤘

• @cstik Brings up the point that fresh wheels sent out all the time, which reminds me, to remind starters, a huge amount of what you are seeing as a "popular with the big senders" wheel, or other gear for the big names is likely very influnced by what they get for free or discounted. Just like in any other sport.

Applying this to myself, as a seller I get a discount from a few brands, that changes the equation on what is worth it for me to buy personally. If I think 2 items are the same quality, and same msrp, but one is cheaper for me to ride, I'm gonna ride the cheaper one.

Not to discredit the quality of any big brands. 

• @Matt Needs Wheels most definitely!. Realistically, I'm riding budget whenever I can, especially when it comes to wheels since they're one of the more disposable parts of a setup. They're gonna get messed up and wear down, no matter what. I always advocate for buying what's the most cost effective, or buying used from a trusted source, especially for beginners! 

• One more thought on starting gear:

You're going to destroy your first set of gloves and a few sets of pants. 

Go to the thrift store and grab a few cheap pairs of jeans and accept that you will blow the ass out while learning to slide. Don't skate in your premium drip, it will be ruined. 

Kneepads - hard cap kneepads are ideal for beginners who are going to wipe out and slide on their kneepads. I wear mountain bike kneepads under jeans because I typically don't end up slamming hard and sliding on the ground. 

Mountain bike kneepads are like gforms but much more durable. Rather than having exposed foam like gforms, the foam is a removable insert. This also lets you wash the kneepads, which cuts down on the stink. I wear sweets protection bearsuit light kneepads, but it looks like they aren't made anymore. When they give up the ghost, I will be looking for similar pads from mountain bike companies. (Side bar - anybody have leads on good light weight/low profile mountain bike kneepads?)

People can also wear elbow pads, but I don't do that. Those padded mountain bike shorts are also popular to wear under jeans. 

Another thought on social media - watching big sender guys doing 50mph standup toes on a weighted tiny board with race wheels will give you unrealistic expectations. I find it more helpful to watch people of intermediate skill level, because that's more realistic to most riders. Watching that guy do the 80mph toe is very cool, but I can't really apply that to my 15-25mph freeride style. 

• @Gabriel Fockler love the additions here. Some of them I'm going to be putting to use myself! I've got some hard cap knee pads, but I rarely use them because of their bulk (hence my opinion on them in the initial post). I'm going to start looking for a set of mountain bike knee pads to reinforce my confidence. I pretty much only wear pants to skate anything.

Watching that guy do the 80mph toe is very cool, but I can't really apply that to my 15-25mph freeride style. 

I'm in the same boat - I'm out putting, rather than trying to send it full speed all the time. Maybe we should start filming some intermediate level content. 🤔